Okay here it is! Sorry for the strange angles; selfie-ing your shoulder is a lot like trying to kiss your own elbow.
This is my pronking; tattoo, based on the drawing above done for me a couple of years ago by the great kate-elizabeth, who in addition to being an amazing artist has been a close friend and confidante since I met her online more than eight years ago. The linked post above is what inspired the concept, a little snippet that stuck in my head when I first read it and then helped me get through a really tough time soon after.
The tattoo was done by Erick Lynch at Redemption Tattoo right down the street in my hometown. I couldn’t be happier with this thing.
Super pumped / honored to see something I drew go on to inspire a thing that is now stamped indelibly upon Lil Bro. (That’s a weird sentence. Y’all know what I mean.)
Congrats on being a badass, zombiecuddle! Looks good on ya.
Thought I’d try something really different from my usual style. 2014 has been the summer of Lily Allen’s Sheezus on repeat.
Just a sip!
A Mix for You! : Beauty School Dropout
A soundtrack for your inner sassy, angsty, day-dreaming, lovesick, delinquent sweetheart.
A Mix for You! : Summer By Train
01. Lonnie Donegan - Rock Island Line
02. Yamasuki - Yama Yama
03. Joni Mitchell - Raised On Robbery
04. The Vipers - The Streamline Train
05. The Syndicate of Sound - Little Girl
06. Bessie Jones - Hambone
07. Blind Blake & The Royal Victoria Hotel Calypsos - Consumptive Sara Jane
08. Sunforest - Lighthouse Keeper
09. Queen - You & I
10. Proclaimers - Oh Jean
11. Sam Cooke - Chain Gang
12. Johnny Cash - Darlin Companion (Live at San Quentin)
13. Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
14. Boy Blue, Willie Jones & Joe Lee - Boogie Children
15. Chuck Berry - Downbound Train
16. Them - Turn On Your Love Light
17. Nina Simone - Real Real
18. The Rolling Stones - Ventilator Blues
19. Eddie Kirkland - I Tried
20. Nolan Strong & the Diablos - The Wind
21. Karen Dalton - It Hurts Me Too
22. Bob Dylan - Let It Be Me
23. Ulla Kantajavuori - Karelsk Vagguisa
My cats for President.
Sketchin’ off a pretty bad Monday.
A Classical Palindrome (30min) by innocuousbox in New Orleans
A long time ago, a group of friends and I would while away our workday by creating and sharing playlists with each other. Every week, we’d come up with a theme and we’d submit a list of 7-8 songs based on that theme.
We always took this super seriously, and ended up sharing some of the best and funniest playlists I’ve ever heard. My boyfriend’s peyote playlist (theme: drugs, of course) was so unsettling that another friend actually had to excuse himself from the room for a minute. Another week’s theme was “Death is in the pot,” and interpretations on that theme ranged from a playlist of murder ballads; a take on the 7 Deadly Sins; a tribute to the Donner Party; and songs that people wanted played at their funeral.
One of my favorite themes was admittedly a suggestion of my own, based on the idea of Palindromes.
The playlists just had to flow forward and backward (ABCCBA), making for a theme was deceptively simple. You could do an artist palindrome (Beatles-Kinks-Zombies-Kinks-Beatles), or like, (cover songs: A, B, C; original versions: C, B, A). The possibilities were pretty endless.
I’ve always really liked songs that are directly based on classical music, so I did turned in “A Classical Palindrome,” with pop songs based on classical compositions.
- Aerosmith, “Cryin,” based on Pachelbel’s Canon In D chord structure
- Jefferson Airplane, “White Rabbit,” based on Ravel’s Bolero beat
- Jem, “They,” samples Bach’s The Well-Tempered Clavier, methods for solo piano
- Procol Harum, “A Whiter Shade of Pale,” based on Bach’s Air On the G String
- Elvis Presley, “Can’t Help Falling In Love,” based on Martini’s “Plaisir d’Amour”
- The Toys, “A Lover’s Concerto,” based on Bach’s Air On the G String
- Nina Simone, “Love Me Or Leave Me,” based on Bach’s Inventions, methods for solo piano
- Roy Orbison, “Running Scared,” based on Ravel’s Bolero beat
- The Beatles, “Let It Be,” based on Pachelbel’s Canon In D chord structure
I had a lot of fun pulling all of this together, and probably could have made this so much longer, if I’d had no time constraints. (Famously, Canon In D is a playlist all its own.)
Anyway, enjoy the playlist. You can listen to the whole thing by clicking the link above.
And if you live in New Orleans and do not enjoy beer, then what are you even doing here?
6th annual WYES Private Beer Sampling : Friday, June 13, 2014, 7-10pm
Serving Buzzer! and Violet Brewregard.
31st annual WYES International Beer Tasting : Saturday, June 14, 2014, 6-9pm
Serving Lime Tree, French Toast Ale, Raspberry Beret, and Oops!
Check out those descriptions. You should drink all the beers with us.
Just realized last week that my homepage still had 2012 written on it. Whoops!
Cleaned and tidied up for the approval of the Midnight Society. Also very proud that I’m officially allowed to call myself an illustrator.
Getting paid for A Thing = calling yourself a professional That Thing.
Encore un verre
Drawing while listening to the Cowboy Bebop OST this morning. Still amazing.